Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness
Did you know that the Boundary Waters Canoe Area…
- Is made up of 1.1 million acres?
- Has approximately 1,175 lakes?
- Has over 250,000 visitors annually?
- Has over 1,500 miles of canoe accessible travel?
- Boasts the highest point in Minnesota at 2,301 feet (Eagle Mountain)?
- Was named one of National Geographic’s “50 Places of a Lifetime”?
- Was home to the Paleo-Indian culture 10,000-12,000 years ago?
- Contains over 400,000 acres of old-growth forest that has never been logged?
- Was previously home to Woodland Caribou (predators, deer encroachment, and parasites have led to their disappearance)?